Sunday, April 4, 2010

Facebook Vacation

As has become customary this year, I'm going on a Facebook vacation for a month or so. This will last until the school year is done.

The point of this is twofold: increased productivity, and a test of willpower. While many people argue to the contrary, Facebook, Twitter, video games, and television are all addictive to some extent, depending on the person. As a test, I stopped using Facebook for a month last semester (November-December) to see if I was a Facebook-addict. Turns out, it was a lot harder to not use it than I thought, but I also became a lot more productive than I had ever imagined (we even submitted a paper that got published!). I concluded that I had been addicted, and since that month of going completely without Facebook, I realized that I was just as happy and had a lot more time. Since then I have made it a goal to limit my use of the service. Unfortunately, that goal has slowly slipped away; traveling for a whole month, while exciting, does horrible things to your productivity and focus.

This time around, I have just as many, if not more, demands on my time. It is harder logistically to go to the library after dinner because I live in Lafayette. I have class all day Tuesday/Thursday, with two 90 minute breaks interspersed. While it is tempting to waste those breaks on Facebook or Google Reader, I can no longer afford to throw away that time. In a little over a month, I will have my final exam, and my Programming Languages project (which is already behind) will be due. Not to mention, I have tens of other things to worry about (research, moving, summer jobs, research, and weekend trips).

I will continue to blog sporadically, perhaps at the same rate I have been in March. Surprisingly, writing a blog post and creating new content is much more interesting than reading about friend's awesome night out drinking, or seeing the latest dumb youtube clip. It also doesn't take as much time, either.

UPDATE: I've decided to keep on using Twitter, because it is much less likely to consume large amounts of my time. That said, I'm trying out a new approach to reading news and Twitter: work first, then relax. I'll only use Twitter after i've already done some work, and refrain from sending tweets during my working periods. I already try to use a similar strategy for email and IM, and it seems to work pretty well. At least, when I don't get urgent emails :).

No comments:

Post a Comment