Sunday, April 19, 2009

My latest learning project: it's all in the hands

So in the past few days, I have been spending much of my idle time researching the various opportunities at graduate schools. During this perusal of various blogs and talks, I realized that the path ahead of me will invariably include many hours banging away on a keyboard. Also, I remember how my hands would get very angry at me during my semester of freshman composition. I would often spend hours at the computer, painfully typing up some horrid essay.

Surely, there are more comfortable ways to type; over the years, countless nerds (myself included) have attempted and failed to successfully adopt to more ergonomic keyboard layouts such as Dvorak. However, in today's always-on hyperactive internet culture, it is ridiculously hard to switch to an alternate keyboard layout: not only is there the improbability that all of your QWERTY-based devices can change to alternate layouts, but more importantly the initial productivity drop associated with plunging to sub-30 wpm typing speeds.

Thankfully (?) here in Japan I have a much lower typing burden than back in the USA, so I've used this weekend to stop typing the old way and conduct this experiment. Judging from the fact that this blog entry was typed up in about 15-20 minutes, I may have a rough few weeks ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment